"This course will provide participants with an in-depth understanding of the statutory requirements for Headteacher Performance Management and will include:
- Overview of statutory guidance
- Organisational details of the Headteacher Performance Management process, including the role of the external advisor and the requirements for target reviews
- Exploration of best practice target setting including how these should link to the school priorities, outcomes for students and mental health and well being
- Information on actions following Headteacher Performance Management reviews and the role of the Pay Committee in this process
The Pay and Pay Appeals Committees are statutory committees and are responsible for all pay decisions outside of the cost of living increases. The committees must be agreed by the governing board who will delegate the role to the named governors serving on the committees.
Attendance at this session will enable participants to:
- Understand the importance of comparing evidence provided against the expectations of the School’s Pay Policy and the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document
- Evaluate the evidence provided by the Headteacher and how to use it to make strategic decisions on teacher’s pay
- Be clear on the type of evidence expected for a request to move through the Threshold or Upper Pay Scale
- Be confident when challenging requests for pay increases and have a clear rationale for any pay increase refusals
- This course will reflect the statutory requirements for maintained schools in relation to Headteacher Performance Management, which is recommended best practice for all schools to follow.
- Will be confident in setting challenging and aspirational targets for the Headteacher
- Will be able to ensure that the targets are reviewed regularly
- Will have the confidence to challenge the senior leadership to evidence that performance management targets have been set for all staff and that they are impacting on outcomes for pupils
- Understand their statutory role in making pay decisions for all teaching staff
- Be confident to ask challenging questions regarding evidence provided
- Be able to ensure pay decisions are managed fairly and in line with the expectations of the school’s Pay Policy and the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document
- Summary pages
- Comparison groups
- Transition grids
- Time will be given for delegates analyse their own schools RAISEonline and consider any implications for the school.