This course provides an overview of the story box programmes which offer a story based multisensory approach to the development of early reading and communication skills. Some boxes also include a focus on early maths concepts and skills. The boxes contain a large range of engaging resources.
This training course offers staff an opportunity to become familiar with the story box programmes and available resources and prepares them to deliver these to groups of pupils.
- be able to develop their language, communication and early reading (and maths) skills through a structured, multi sensory story based programme
- feel confident about delivering story box programme to groups of children
SENCOs and Support Staff
Guest speakers are invited to each session to focus on a particular area of interest previously identified by the group.
Recent sessions have included Managing Well Being in Schools and Developing the School Business Manager role. Relevant updates are also provided from departments within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, such as Human Resources, Payroll and Finance.
- attend a school which is effectively resourced
- hear from various experts on whichever areas of their work are identified
- have the opportunity to share best practice, helping them to develop their own practice in school
- form links and collaborate, ensuring SBMs are more effective in their role
- have more effective and robust systems in place as a result of SBMs reflecting on models of good practice
School Business Managers
A series of twilight SENCO support sessions, with topics to be decided by the SENCO Network meeting.
These sessions are designed to support SENCOs with topical issues and share good practice across schools/settings.
These sessions will disseminate advice and support benefit to all school SENCOs with follow-up workshop style sessions in the implementation of new initiatives.
- have knowledgeable SENCOs who are aware of the systems and processes in place to support them
- have access to immediate support and training on issues arising in practice or via network meetings in addition to access to specialist advice and support that supports working as a mainstream school SENCO
Teaching Assistants, SENCOs & parents
The aim of this course is to enable staff to make effective use of ongoing 'formative' assessment as part of the graduated approach.
Attendees will be shown examples of observation-based assessment and how to effectively track small steps of progress for children with complex needs. They will also be given the opportunity to explore how effective assessment informs planning for children with SEND.
- benefit from accurate and in depth assessment of learning and identification of next steps
- be able to identify and track steps of progress and set appropriate learning targets
- have more effective tracking of progress for children with complex needs
SENCOs, Teachers, Heads of Department, ECTs and Support Staff