The service is provided by qualified lawyers, some of whom have many years of experience in advising schools on a wide range of matters and have a track record of achieving good outcomes for schools. We are committed to providing an excellent legal service to support headteachers and governors.
How can we help you?
- A comprehensive, professional and cost effective legal service whether an individual piece of advice to support a headteacher or a major piece of litigation such as a High Court judicial review
- We can advise on the following matters:
- Contract advice and disputes
- Issues to do with parental responsibility
- School complaints and appeals
- Disputes with parents where courts and other solicitors are involved
- Advice on criminal proceedings and contact with the police
- Applications for reports from schools and access to documents (sometimes in the context of criminal proceedings and requests from the police)
- Advice on allegations that a child has been falsely imprisoned through a wrongful detention
- Requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Dealing with intruders on school premises
- Revoking a parent's implied licence to enter the school premises
- Employment matters
- Disability discrimination claims
- What is not included in our service?
- Our service does not cover cases where legal advice and representation is available under insurance arrangements, for example, claims for negligence against the school. We do not provide advice on contract matters relating to capital expenditure
- Our service does not cover the cost of advice and representation pertaining to any claim in the employment tribunal. We are happy to offer advice and assistance in such matters but in this case we would have to charge a competitive hourly rate of £86.50 per hour
- We are not able to provide legal advice and assistance in cases where there may be a conflict in the school’s position and the position of Royal Greenwich. There are very few matters that fall into this category, however where they do, it will be your responsibility, as a school to source and fund your own legal advice independent of Royal Greenwich
- We are not currently offering GDPR advice. This may be available separately upon request, however this will be chargeable separately at the above rate
- Service Standards
- We aim to respond to requests for telephone advice on the same day and to provide written advice within 5 days. Where a school is involved in litigation, we will keep to the court and tribunal time limits and keep you regularly informed of the progression of the case. In some cases it may be necessary to instruct a Barrister to advise or appear on behalf of the school. This decision would always be taken in consultation and agreement with the school and would only be taken where there is a reasonable prospect of success if that course is taken, or where the Council believe there are exceptional circumstances so that instructing a Barrister is necessary. Any dispute as to whether a Barrister should be instructed will be determined by the Director of Children’s Services
Apart from the specified exceptions this service is offered on an all-inclusive basis. All you pay is a standard annual fee, no matter how much the school needs the service. The fee is based on the number of pupils on roll and averages out at £1.32 per pupil for the year.
All Barristers and court fees will be charged to the school.
An invoice will be issued in October and payment should be made within 28 days of the date of the invoice.
For those services not included a rate of £86.50 per hour will be charged.
Assistant Head of Legal Services
020 8921 5111
020 8921 5032
Senior Lawyer Adult and Employment
020 8921 6096
Senior Lawyer Adult and Employment
020 8921 5169