Virtual School for Children in our Care
“Providing leadership to those supporting educational outcomes for children in our care.”
The Virtual School team is committed to working in partnership with schools to narrow the outcome gap, seen nationally, for children in our care and children previously in our care.
Our dedicated and experienced team work in partnership with schools and all those who affect the education of children in our care, and children previously in our care. We monitor and track individual children and provide guidance on appropriate strategies, as well as offering advice and guidance on leadership issues, legislation and statutory areas.
The bespoke services we offer support staff to both understand the issues that affect children in our care, and children previously in our care, helping to develop strategies to support their achievement. Our service are available to any school or organisation that works with children in our care and children previously in our care.
Achievement of children and young people
- Supporting and attending Personal Education Planning meetings
- Using data provided to allocate extra tuition or support in the home
- Liaising with other boroughs and other agencies to ensure all children in our care achieve the best outcomes
- Working with your designated teacher to ensure Pupil Premium is used on the most effective strategies for individual children in our care
- Supporting young people in care to engage in extra-curricular activities
- Supporting young people in care to have post 16 and post 19 aspirations
Improving the quality of teaching
- Supporting the implementation of whole school teaching strategies for children in our care and children previously in our care
- Providing strategies that assist social workers and foster carers in supporting young people with their education
- Providing training for designated teachers and sharing of practice opportunities for all staff working with children in our care, and children previously in our care. For example, whole school teaching on attachment and learning
Behaviour and safety of young people
- Providing guidance on exclusions and attendance policies for children in our care and children previously in our care
- Providing guidance on supporting individual young people who are struggling with school
Leadership and management
- Supporting strategic development of services for children in our care and children previously in our care
- Ensuring governing boards, Headteachers and designated teachers have a clear understanding of how to meet their statutory responsibilities
- Linking schools with each other and with external agencies
- Keeping schools up-to-date with national developments
- Supporting the development of Attachment Aware schools
Core services are free of charge to Royal Greenwich Schools.
020 8921 5209